Pages

Thursday 7 August 2014

Giving Criticism a Bed for the Night


When I first started publishing, it was a bit like standing naked in the fruit section of the supermarket and listening to shoppers talking about your wobbly bits and the stretch marks on your butt. I dreaded hearing, “Well, that’s a bit crap,” coming out of anyone’s mouth and I steeled myself for it. I only wanted to hear the nice stuff.

My first novel, About Hana, was written out of loneliness, desperation and a desire to create a character who was further on in her journey than I and had survived. Hana was my imaginary older self, my successful alter ego who had been where I was and come through. The novel was mystery fiction, but Hana was real and I had fully bought into her.

To criticise Hana, was to criticise me personally and I was never going to react well.

I remember likening it to giving birth to a child who in your eyes is faultless. 30 hours of labour following hot on the heels of 9 months of difficulty in everyway possible and then, ‘Voila’ there is the sleeping product. In walks a total stranger and declares in a loud voice for everyone to hear,
“That is one ugly baby!”

It’s been a fair while since those early, sensitive days. They aren’t my babies and I am not their mother. They are my creation and I will stand by them and own them, but I won’t sob and cry when somebody else doesn’t find them to their taste. I’ve got through the 3-star agony and have yet to face the inevitable 1-star, but it will come. I’ve grown up and it’s a good feeling. I am no longer re-enacting an embarrassing episode of ‘The Emperor’s New Clothes,’ prancing down the street naked with my novel in my hand thinking that it’s wonderful, but afraid that actually, it isn’t.

We do have to listen to criticism. Filter it, chop out the ‘I hate this book or that cover’ and find a reason, if there is one. If there isn’t, biff it as we say in New Zealand. File it in the bin drawer and don’t look back. But if someone has given you a clue about an element of your writing that doesn’t work for them, take it and shine a light on your work. I learnt that from watching other authors on the Book Review Depot doing exactly that - taking their precious work down to re-edit or to dress it properly.

I look at my early cover and feel embarrassed now. It was a posed photo of my daughter in our paddock. She didn’t want to be there and certainly didn’t want her face splashed all over Amazon. Just before I pressed the button on the camera, she said,
“Why me? Why not one of my sisters?”
I replied,
“Shut up and smile, you’re my only redhead!”

My husband helped to put the resulting photo into something relatively decent on Publisher and up it went. I’m amazed it sold. But it did. The cover of The New Du Rose Matriarch was her again, standing in our flooded paddock holding a furry toy wrapped in a blanket and she had to hold it like a baby. She decided after that, that it was tantamount to child abuse and wouldn’t do anymore. I don’t blame her. It was pretty naff. Someone on a forum told me that my covers were crap and I was horrified. They were the best I could do!

Yeah, but they were still crap. One of them was so bad that I don’t even want to think about it a few years on. I’ve even deleted it off my hard drive and probably should hunt down anymore errant copies of it in the ether. Perhaps I should get Amazon to send out an email and have an amnesty on them.

I knew it though, deep down. That’s probably part of my sensitivity about it all. The perfectionist in me knew that it wasn’t quite all there and I just didn’t want to hear anyone else say it. I was deluding myself, but not happily.

It’s like anything else. We have to cut through the rubbish in our own heads and listen to the really constructive things that other people might have to say. Discard what amounts to little more than ranting and embrace the rest with both hands. Someone pointed out an adverb problem, not massive, but enough to be jarring. So I fixed it. The covers needed work so I got help, took suggestions and stopped trying to make the proverbial silk purse out of a sow’s ear. I bought stock photos, learned PhotoShop and always take a second, third, fourth and fifth opinion. One day, I will afford to pay someone to do all of it.

Everything in the world of publishing can range from cheap and cheerful to gut-wrenchingly expensive and you get what you pay for. But the one thing that is absolutely free in this ruthless and confusing world is constructive criticism from decent people who know that you can do better - and want to see you do it.

The best thing I’ve learned is that I need to listen. Not to every pet peeve or grumble, but to stuff that can help me. I need to keep the integrity of my work and not change the essence of it, but I can tidy it up and give it a decent launch pad from which to fly.

I can trade favours with other authors who are particularly skilled in one or more areas. And I can take heart instead of pain from reviews in which someone has tried to communicate my failings in coherent English and constructive suggestion.

In short, I have had a change of heart. And guess what?

It’s made me a better writer.


Oh, and don’t go peeping at my books because I haven’t finished changing all the covers yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment