Pages

Thursday 18 September 2014

The Odd Moment of Joy in a Writer's Life

Ok, so I did promise, didn't I?

I said that when my books arrived in the mail from Createspace, that I would pose with them and show you. It kind of didn't quite go to plan, as I got the first copy of Blaming the Child and I hated it. It looked naff, there were a number of things I got wrong and there was no way on this earth that you were ever going to see it. It went off for proofing quietly and I managed to stop myself gluing brown paper over its faulty front, but only because I trust my proofers to say nothing when asked never to mention it again.

Last weekend I posed like a complete wally with the new Blaming the Child, Demons on Her Shoulder and The New Du Matriarch, but only because I am a woman of my word.  I learned some huge lessons with that first proof and I might actually shelve it as an example of what not to do - now that I have calmed down about it. The others, I am thrilled with. Well, I was for a few minutes, but being a closet perfectionist I have done some fiddling and corrected some things...

So, without further ado, this is me and I am she. 



This is the place I seem to spend most of my life in - when I'm not working at my 'proper job' or doing life things that keep me away from my office. It's amazing how much time I do spend writing, editing, blogging, researching and doing the myriad things that keep my craft going. I sat one day last week after a morning at work and did 14 hours more or less straight, with a short interruption to fetch my daughter off the school bus in the township and a few bathroom breaks. I'm not convinced that anyone who isn't a writer would understand how all consuming it is. It's everything to me and yet nothing to anyone else. 

So why do I do it?

Because I'm a writer. And hey, look. At least I have something to show for my time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment