Pages

Saturday 19 July 2014

Helicopter Mothers - Please Just Fly Away

I’ve worked in education for almost two decades. I remember as a youthful looking 30-year-old, sitting in a staffroom observing the nearly-retired-brigade and thinking, ‘nope, that will never be me.’ I still think that, but some of us are very good at self-delusion and for the record, I am still 30 in my head.

As the mother of four very-close-together children, as in, I managed to pop out four in under four years with the aid of twins thrown into the middle of the mix, I made some terrible mistakes. I have no idea how I raised four independent, globe-trotting, heads-screwed-firmly-on children of my own.

The credit should probably really go to my husband, who is all of those things, if I’m honest.

I had a great mum, I didn’t realise it at the time, but I certainly do now. She was always there for my sister and me, offering support, encouragement and boundaries, good advice and on occasion, threats of revenge on our behalf whenever the situation warranted it. She told us that she loved us lots and still does, even now that I have my own wrinkly bits and she also told us off. Regularly. She was scary!

But what she didn’t do was fight all our battles for us, unless the giants were incredibly disproportionate, which in my fearless sister’s case was infrequently. We scrapped with the neighbourhood kids on a regular basis to the point where we were banned from leaving the garden despite the damage we did to the flowerbeds with our bicycles (pretend horses) and there were always consequences. I don’t ever remember my mother sending me into school with a note that said,

‘My sweet little darling couldn’t do her homework last night and is late to school because I let her sleep in.’

Whatever!

We were up and out the door despite the fact that my father was serving with the British Airforce in the Falklands and we probably could have bunked off in tears most days with a valid excuse. What’s more, we walked the five miles to school in the rain because Mum didn’t learn to drive until very late. Mum did two jobs and cycled between both in the English winter to put food on the table and we appreciated her.

The term, ‘Helicopter Mum’ wasn’t even invented.

They didn’t have time to hover over us, watching our every move.

Imagine that.
No mobile phones, no Facebook, no email.
When you went to school, they expected you to turn up and usually you did, more or less on time.

...apart from a few occasions which are perhaps best not remembered and I was still getting whacked on the backside with the slipper when I was 15, I’ll have you know!

And what’s more - I deserved it!

If you’ve ever stood underneath a helicopter while it’s hovering overhead, then you’ll know what kind of crap gets whipped up around you. You get whacked with leaves and bits of rubbish that you wouldn’t ordinarily have known were there. Because of the sharp, rotating blades kicking it up.

That’s what you do when you hover over your kids. You stir up crap you didn’t know was there.

If they forget their homework, tough. Let them take the punishment.

If they forget their lunch, oh dear. Nobody except someone with a severe medical issue ever died from missing one meal. But they won’t forget it tomorrow, will they?

Why does the SUV need to be pulled up on the kerb right outside school? Will they die if they have to walk a few hundred metres? Do their legs fall off after they’ve done their quota for the week?

Stop picking up after them and giving them the impression that they’re owed.

The examination board won’t owe them and their employer definitely won’t.

And you know what’s worse? 

When they turn into somebody nauseatingly awful who whinges at the slightest thing, guess who gets to carry on putting it all right in their little insular world?

Yep.
That’s right.

Lose the chopper mum. And quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment