Pages

Thursday 22 May 2014

Celiac Awareness Month - May 2014, New Zealand



My latest novel, Blaming the Child, features a sixteen year old girl who has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. It is only part of the issue which drives her to run away from home, a minor fragment in a wider problem, but it is nevertheless a diagnosis which makes her life even harder than it needed to be.

Most people have heard about gluten intolerance, or the need to have a gluten free diet, but people who genuinely suffer from Celiac Disease have to make sure that normal flours, thickeners and even glucose syrups made from wheat, form little or no part of their daily diet. I say genuinely suffering, because as someone who can’t eat gluten, I have been at events where there has been a single plate of gluten free food provided at a veritable feast and by the time I’ve got to the table, it has all been eaten by curious diners who thought they would ‘give it a go’. My daughter is also a diagnosed Celiac and has had the same experience, watching people who are perfectly able to eat everything else in the room, homing in on the morsel provided for her and others like her, when there is a table full for them.

Then there is the other sort of gluten intolerance, which seems for some sufferers to come and go. They can’t stomach a normal loaf of bread and smile demurely while the host sweats tears over an alternative menu, but point them at a donut or some other delicacy and all threat of stomach pain is miraculously removed and they can suddenly eat normally. However some Celiacs can tolerate an amount of gluten per day, so it’s never going to be that cut and dried.

My Mothers' Day gift from my daughter purchased from The Girl on the Swing, Hamilton
The reality of any kind of food intolerance is an unavoidable quickening of the heart rate at the mention of dining out, wondering if there will be anything suitable for you to eat or if you will be stuck once again, eating hot chips and garlic aoli. The joy at occasionally finding something labelled as ‘gluten free’ is often overshadowed by fear: perhaps the chef got it wrong and has accidentally used wheat flour to thicken a sauce out of habit or maybe the hot chips were rolled in flour to make them crispy. You ask the waitress and after a look of confusion, she trots off into the kitchen to ask the question of someone you will never see. If she comes back and admits that the item you have picked isn’t actually gluten free, your last meal choice is removed from you and then there is the embarrassing ordeal of moving on elsewhere in search of the elusive lunch, or pretending that you weren’t hungry anyway and stifling the guttural growls as everyone else tucks into their delicious food. If she assures you that it is gluten free, you probably won’t fully trust her anyway and won’t relax enough to enjoy your meal.

I can’t emphasise what an issue food actually becomes for someone with an intolerance. Gluten makes me incredibly unwell in the stomach department but I have the double whammy of also being lactose intolerant. Consumption of any kind of milk product will have me rolling on the bathroom floor within twenty minutes, hot, sweating and severely sick. It’s amazing how often a simple error by a barista, who takes my order and then forgets that I actually asked for soy milk, has resulted in agony and a day off work while I recover from their careless disregard of a simple instruction. I’m not being picky - it’s not that I can’t tell it’s milk and not soy, I can tell just fine, but unfortunately the usual way to tell is to take a mouthful and that’s already too late. It also makes prescribed tablet taking into a nightmare. Most capsules, including antibiotics contain small amounts of lactose in the casing. There are alternatives but that involves standing in the pharmacy red faced yet again, while the pharmacist makes a lengthy phone call to the manufacturer.

I haven’t always had food intolerance and that is the sad fact. Nobody knows why it suddenly begins this way, perhaps a virus, maybe certain foods were a minor irritant and my body has decided to kick off over it now. Once upon a time I could eat out at a cafe or a restaurant without worrying and I certainly didn’t have to pick over the hot chips just in case they were beer battered and nobody thought to mention it on the menu. I am ashamed to admit that I was also horribly unsympathetic towards people who couldn’t eat absolutely anything they liked, choosing to view them as hypochondriacs, individuals who felt the need to be the centre of attention in social situations. Now that I am on the other side of the fence, peering fearfully at menus and ingredient lists on the back of every single packet I buy, the world appears to be a lot different.

My beautiful, gregarious daughter has stopped sleeping over at friends’ houses, finding the agony of dinner and breakfast too much to bear. We’ve tried everything. We’ve sent special food for her. We’ve sent food for everyone. There’s nothing left to try. Faced with everyone staring at her crumbly, cardboard-like bread or the pizza bases that could double as wheel trims, she is now electing not to go.

The Hillside Hotel, Huntly - awesome bespoke G/F menu
I’ve had only one incredible meal out in the last five years. Compared to the average diner, that’s pretty sad. Bizarrely it was made by an award winning Welsh chef, cooking at a hotel in the wilds of the North Island of New Zealand and I rang him and spoke to him the week before we went there. I had no idea what he was going to cook, just that there would be three courses. I sat like a princess while the waiter put beautiful food in front of me and I trusted him not to make me ill. He didn’t let me down.

In this country in particular, there seems to be little understanding of what food intolerance is like. It feels like something that nobody is really interested in and so they let it pass them by, happy to wrongly label food packets as gluten or dairy free when they aren’t, or to slap a milky coffee on the table when that’s actually the last thing that was asked for. People will lay into a gluten free cake at a party or a gathering, commenting that it’s ‘not that bad’ when it wasn’t for them at all and they actually had free rein of everything else in the room. What do we actually have to do to get noticed?
There are books out there to help

I know of children who have died of peanut allergies and that is just so tragic, but is that what has to happen here? I really hope not. A big mistake I made, was to listen to a doctor who casually told me to try cutting things out of my diet without running any tests. That is a monumental mistake. I cut out milk products and wheat and have never been able to tolerate going back onto them. Consequently, I can’t have the simple blood test for Celiac, because I now have no gluten in my system for tests to pick up any adverse reaction to. It is also highly possible that I cheerfully turned a low lactose or milk intolerance into a major one simply by cutting it out. There are awesome, scientific reasons for NOT taking massive dietary changes into your own hands before having the relevant intolerance tests.

On a recent visit to the hospital for yet more tests, the gastroenterologist commented on the increase in gluten intolerance, blaming the way that the flour is now stored to prevent it degrading. She said that the stuff they add to the basic ingredient is in itself, completely indigestible and that it was no wonder. It just goes to show that we should be more careful about what we put into our own and our children’s mouths. She recommended spelt flour as an alternative to wheat for people with an intolerance, but forbade me from trying it as I am already too far gone it seems.

It’s Celiac Awareness Month here in New Zealand and there have been helpful experts offering gems of wisdom for anyone interested enough to listen. I’m sure that the number of diagnoses have increased just from an ‘aha’ moment as someone suffering from unexplained stomach pains finally joined the dots for themselves. But will it be enough for everyone else to pay attention? The ideal would be for cafes to be more intentional about what they offer for people with intolerance. When someone asks to meet me for coffee, there are only so many places I dare go and I have been known to walk out of a place when I didn’t recognise the barista as someone who ‘knows’ they can’t make a mistake with my coffee.

It’s actually about far more than just ‘I can’t eat that’, it’s really about trust. The people that hand me food or drinks with a smile, have the power to make me really suffer and I’m yet to be convinced that they either know, or care.



Unashamed advertising for helpful places I have found: 

http://www.hillsidehotel.co.nz/
http://www.thegirlontheswing.co.nz/
http://www.onestopglutenfreeshop.co.nz/
http://www.celiaccentral.org/awarenessmonth/

No comments:

Post a Comment